Food that fills you up
A lot of people give up on diets or can’t stick to a healthy diet because they can’t take the hunger, or think that weight loss is about starving yourself. Losing weight doesn’t mean only eating celery and accepting a constantly grumbling stomach, the secret lies in knowing what to eat. Here are some tips for how to lose weight AND still feel satisfied:
- Although they’re marketed as diet foods, choosing gimmicky weight loss bars or shakes might leave you hungry and dissatisfied. Cereal bars or rice cakes are not a great snack to have if you’re hungry as whilst they can be low in calories, they can be high in sugar and metabolised quickly so leave our bodies wanting more.
- PROTEIN makes us feel full. If you’re trying to reduce the size of your meals, eating protein such as meat, fish, soya products such as tofu, beans and eggs in your meals is a good way to make sure you still feel full after a meal.
- FIBRE adds volume to food and makes us feel full. Snack on fruit and veg, popcorn, porridge, avocados, bran-based cereals (without added sugar), wholegrain bread, brown rice, beans… there are loads of things to choose from!
- You should also drink plenty of water - about 6 - 8 glasses a day. Water moves fibre through your digestive system, and helps against hunger too. Plus, we sometimes mistake the feeling of thirst for hunger. Try drinking water when you’re hungry and between meals as a way to satisfy the feeling of hunger.
- When you are hungry, your body doesn’t necessarily want food, it wants nutrition. If you feed it foods that are nutrient-poor, your brain and body will never really feel totally satisfied. Opt for nutritious foods wherever possible, cooking your own is one way to ensure that your meals are packed full of the goodness. Check out these recipes for inspiration.
- Remember that natural, unprocessed food is usually lower in sugar and calories so you can eat more of it than processed junk food which can be high in sugar, fat and calories. So unprocessed food is always a better option!