Beat your Gymxiety with this simple weight training circuit!
Commercial gyms can be a very scary place to be, especially if you consider yourself a novice. Remember, you don't have to go to a gym do get active but if you do why not try this simple weight training circuit to build your confidence and take you closer to your goals!
A1. Leg Press 4 sets x 12-15 reps
- Make sure your knee’s drive outwards in the same direction as the toes
- As you approach the bottom stop before your feel the lower back & glutes lift off the seat
B1. Dumbbell Shoulder Press 4 sets x 10-12 reps
- Upright the bench and make sure you can push the back into the bench with your feet comfortably touching the floor
- Start with the shoulder and elbow at 90* and press towards the ceiling until your elbow is fully extended
C1. Seated Row 4 sets x 10-12 reps
- Sitting upright on the machine, grab hold of the handle and start with the shoulder blades back and down (as if you were going to try and pinch a pencil between them!)
- Pull the handle back and towards the lower portion of the torso, pause, then lower the handle down and repeat!
D1. Seated Hamstring Curl 4 sets x 12-15 reps
- Make sure your have a sung in the machine to stop the knees, ankles or back from moving around
- Start by pulling down into the machine to keep the body anchored, then bring the ankle towards the glutes, pause and gently let foot come up
Remember to speak to an instructor before starting new a exercise and to talk to your GP before starting any new exercise or weight loss regime.
Article and video by Pioneer Performance, Newcastle.